Tuesday, March 21, 2017

SOLVED: Configure Raspberry Pi Wi-Fi the easy way

I recently had to configure the Wi-Fi on my Raspberry Pi which was running on Raspian Jessie Lite 8.0 (Debian).  It took a few attempts, but in the end, what I ended up with was very simple and it worked nicely.

I just modified /etc/network/interfaces with (changed in red text):

# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)

# Please note that this file is written to be used with dhcpcd
# For static IP, consult /etc/dhcpcd.conf and 'man dhcpcd.conf'

# Include files from /etc/network/interfaces.d:
source-directory /etc/network/interfaces.d

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
auto eth0 iface
iface eth0 inet dhcp

# Wireless configuration

auto wlan0
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
        wpa-ssid "myVisibleSSID"
        wpa-psk "password"

Then just remove the network cable and reboot.  Presto magic!

No comments:

Can't RDP? How to enable / disable virtual machine firewall for Azure VM

Oh no!  I accidentally blocked the RDP port on an Azure virtual machine which resulted in not being able to log into the VM anymore.  I did ...