Saturday, August 25, 2007

'asp' is an unrecognized tag prefix or device filter

I'm using Visual Studio 2005 with SP 1. Recently the IDE started showing errors for my asp tags:

'asp' is an unrecognized tag prefix or device filter

There were a lot of online reports that this was a reflection of Master Pages. For me, I was not using Master Pages. My fix was to:

  1. Close all VS instances
  2. Delete folder contents at "C:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\ReflectedSchemas"
  3. Restart VS (it will recreate schemas)

1 comment:

PaulTechGuy said...

This didn't work when I restarted VS. I finally got around this issue by removing my custom page template dependency (via a Page derivation). I converted to .NET 2.0 Master Pages and the problem when away. This was good since the old problem was also causing Intellisense issues.

Can't RDP? How to enable / disable virtual machine firewall for Azure VM

Oh no!  I accidentally blocked the RDP port on an Azure virtual machine which resulted in not being able to log into the VM anymore.  I did ...